Thursday, September 17, 2009

Having It All

This morning I read an article on Student Choice in teaching reading and I got choked up. My heart ached for teaching. How is it possible to be so fulfilled by one job and yet miss the other so much?

I don't miss getting up at 5 a.m. In fact, I can't believe Finny has the audacity to wake me up at 6:15 a.m. I don't miss my albatross of papers to grade constantly hanging around my neck. And I don't miss the politics and endlessly fighting to justify my measly paycheck.

But I do miss my classroom and the energy 120 teenagers brought to me on a daily basis. I love being Mommy, but I miss being Mrs. Van.

Many people struggle to find a career that they love; I guess I should count my blessings that somehow I found two. Someday, maybe I will figure out how to do them both at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I can relate completely. I think that September is the hardest month. It is the time of returning to school, and it feels unnatural to not do so. I love my daughter and the time I am having with her, but I also miss the energy of a classroom of excited, inquiring minds.

    ReplyDelete