Sunday, September 13, 2009

Everybody Hurts


So, the mystery behind Kate Gosselin's haircut is solved--one or some or all of her kids were teething.

Something crazy must come over women when their children aren't sleeping. They, in turn, aren't sleeping and suddenly everything looks tragic and hopeless.

The Desiderata says, "Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness." And so, apparently, are reverse mullets.

When Finny doesn't sleep, I don't sleep, and all of a sudden I start going down this dark path of "I'm a terrible mother. My life is misery. I should be teaching and somebody more qualified should be watching my son. I hate my jeans. My face is ugly." You know the drill.

So, in an attempt to get my mind out of this depressive loop, I took Finny to the park and walked him around the track listening to REM's "Everybody Hurts." Somehow it made me feel better to know that everybody hurts; not just me. And also, I decided I would feel better if I got my haircut. Short.

Oops.

My mom came over to watch Finny and I, armed with a photo of a stunning model with adorably short hair, went to the hairdresser and decided to become her. Two hours and four inches later, I left feeling a tight bond with Kate Gosselin.

"Many fears are born of loneliness and fatigue," and so apparently are mom haircuts and perhaps other bad decisions like mom jeans and sweater vests.

Next time, I may just opt for a cup of coffee and a good book and stay clear of Coldwater Creek.

No comments:

Post a Comment