Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Listening

When he’s caught imagining…


“Ummm…we need three eggs for Peter Cottontail,” Finny mused as he contemplated the blank pages of my grocery pad that he had pulled off the refrigerator.

When he’s figuring out his world…

“I can’t see the sky this morning,” Finny puzzled at 5:00 a.m. through tired eyes as he sat on his little potty. “That’s because it’s still night time,” David responded. But it didn’t matter. He was up and that was that.

When he’s trying to strike a compromise…

“Mommy, how about we have three M&Ms and a lollypop? Does that sound like a plan?” Finny proposes after going pee-pee and poopy on the potty.

When he’s trying to calm down…

“I’m just a little upset right now,” as the big tears roll down his cheeks and the big bottom lip turns under and he tries to get ahold of himself after a stubbed toe or a bit tongue or a particularly drowsy nap.

When he’s trying to make friends…

“Hi, my name is Finny. I came to the library today and I have a band-aid on my knee because I have an owie. I live on _______. Do you want to come to my house to play?” Twice now the stunned other child has run away, not quite sure what to make of his rather forward approach.

When he’s looking for a laugh…

“Eeee Teee Phooone Hooome.” Said in his best, slow alien voice when Dr. Rath turned his fingertip red with the light from her otoscope. We all erupted in laughter.

And when he’s praying…

“What do you want to thank God for today, Finn?”

“I want to thank God for curtains and fans and the moon and trains and blankets and lamps and Peter Cottontail.”

“Well, that just about covers it.”


And now Charlie, big, little old Charlie, is chiming in from his little corner of the world. With a voice seemingly deeper and a little raspier, he has started talking back to us, turning back his lips to reveal his mouth full of gums, saying, “Dah, dah, dah, dah, dah.” Music to my ears. Another voice in the house. Another little personality rolling across the blanket.

Such a big world. So much to take in at once. Thoughts, feelings, ponderings, wonderings.

I like being the teacher, but I love being the listener. Taking in all the pure, joyful innocence of the universe wrapped up in the sweet, soft little sounds of my children’s baby voices.

No comments:

Post a Comment