Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wonder of Wonders, Miracle of Miracles

It is hard to explain how wonderful it felt yesterday when I looked down and saw a little splash of pee-pee in Finny’s little potty. I wanted to gobble him up with pride.

Then, eight hours later when I discovered a little poopy in the potty, I practically wept with joy.

Why? What on earth is it about these basic bodily functions that made me want to twirl around in a brown linen dress singing to the hills of Austria? I don’t know. I only know that there was a fear deep within me that Finny would never figure out how to pee or poop on a toilet. Logical reasoning tells me that the odds are in our favor that Finny will someday use the bathroom and not a diaper, but there’s this whole other part of me that just can’t for the life of me understand how this is all going to go down.

And then he did it. Twice in one day. Pee and Poop. Number 1 and Number 2. Wonder of wonders. Miracle of miracles.

Clearly I need to get out of the house more. Maybe do a little travelling. Attend the theater or an art museum. Engage someone in intellectual discussion over just what is the right approach to our handling of the whole Libya debauchal.

In the meantime, I am going to sweep Finny off his feet every time he leaves a little present in his little toilet and shower him with kisses and sticker charts.

In the meantime, I am simply going to rejoice over the miracle of pee-pee and poo-poo in the potty.

(Note: I chose not to document this momentous occasion with a picture or video, but to quote Finny, post-poopy, “It’s a big one, Mommy!”

If this blog still exists on the world wide web when he is fifteen, he is no doubt hating me right now for writing this.)

(Another Note:  I just figured out how to connect the blog to Google's Feed Burner so that readers can subscribe to receive an email when I have updated it if you should so choose.  There is also an option to receive Musings on Motherhood in an RSS feed.  See the links to the right.)

No comments:

Post a Comment