Wednesday, December 16, 2009

In Loving Memory of Max Winters, My Grandpa


Today the world lost one of its very best, but it is undoubtedly, a happy day in heaven.  In loving memory of the original "Pop Pop" here is a poem I wrote just a couple months ago when we celebrated his 90th birthday. 

Things that My Grandfather Taught Me

My grandfather taught me at an early age to love the words upon the page.
The sounds they make all joined together make a music no man can tether.
The tinkling of words that rhyme and sing create a joy nothing else can bring.
The joy of writing my grandfather gave is a precious gift I’ll always save.

My grandfather taught me at an early age to love performing on a stage.
There’s nothing like it if you’re shy to put on the costume of some other guy
And ham it up before a crowd; the laughter and applause, it makes you proud.
My grandpa taught me you can never feel small when standing before a curtain call.

My grandfather taught me at an early age to be proud of my Polish heritage.
So I flew across the Atlantic Sea, flying over England, past Germany
To the land from where the Wisniewskis came-- my life would never be the same
For after my feet touched that Baltic sand, I fell in love with that Polish land.

My grandfather taught me all along that there are things more important than stage or song.
That sometimes you must use your gifts, not for the bright lights of show business,
But to serve the Lord through worship and prayer for His love is beautiful and rare,
And so dearer to me than anything, is the peace and grace that faith can bring.

My grandfather taught me along with this that true love really does exist.
With a tender kiss and a touch of the hand, they shared something great with that wedding band.
To see the love between those two, even greater at eighty than at twenty-two,
I knew if I wanted to get married someday, my grandparents would be the models to light my way.

My grandfather has taught me a lot of things with the wisdom that ninety years can bring.
But there is one lesson that stands out above them all; it is written in bold upon the wall:
More important than travel or poetry is the love that you show to your family.
When my grandfather would hold me in his cuddly arms, I knew that the world would do me no harm
Because he taught me that there is nothing greater than the love that comes from my Polish grand-pater.

Ja cie kocham, Dziadek.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this poem, Jill. It is a wonderful tribute to your grandfather, and I will be thinking of you as you grieve your loss but also celebrate his life.

    ReplyDelete